Lake Monroe Facts

Facts List

  • Lake Monroe was designed and built by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) beginning in 1960 and became fully operational in 1965.
  • The purpose of the lake is flood control, water supply, and low flow augmentation for downstream waters.
  • Normal pool for the lake is 538’ above mean sea level (MSL).
  • At normal pool, the lake has an area of 10,750 acres and is the largest lake in Indiana.
  • The maximum depth of Lake Monroe is 54’ in the bed of Salt Creek near the dam. The average depth is 17’.
  • The shoreline length of Lake Monroe is 103 miles at normal pool.
  • Lake Monroe lies mostly in Monroe County (88%), with the remaining 12% in Brown  County.
  • Lake Monroe serves as the sole source of drinking water for over 120,000 people, serving residents in Monroe and Brown Counties.
  • Lake Monroe attracts over a million visitors per year. Popular activities include sight-seeing, fishing, swimming, picnicking, boating, skiing, and birding.
  • Lake Monroe is a wildlife resources to a variety of species including the federally endangered clubshell mussel and Indiana bat.

Breakdown of Lake Monroe Watershed

Watershed by County

Lake Monroe is exposed to steep hillsides on private lands.

portion of the watershed from the North Fork of Salt Creek
portion from the Middle and South Forks of Salt Creek
portion from Brummett's Creek and Stephen's Creek

Lake Monroe Facts

FOLM is working diligently to update, analyze, and act on data. Click the link above to see our Lake Monroe Watershed data on Google Drive.

For more information about data collection or to request access to raw data, please use the form on our Contact Us page.

Start typing and press Enter to search